Welcome to Year 5
Welcome to the Year 5 web page. Here you will find photographs and information about what we have been learning about. We look forward to sharing with you!
This week we have been completing more topic related outdoor Maths! We have been working out the area of irregular shapes (leaves and flowers) and we have been measuring the height, girth and age of trees!
As part of our learning this week, we each had the opportunity to choose a mini beast to research. Using online sources, books, and the knowledge of family members we created fact files with words and illustrations to present all of our new knowledge! Well done Year 5, you are working so hard!
What’s in the News?
This week our class have been researching CBBC Newsround to see what is happening around the world. This week we found out that there was lots of interesting things happening such as ‘Record Breaking Gamer Granny!’, ‘The latest on Coronavirus’, and ‘World Turtle Day!’ to name a few. Our task was to research a positive article that was of interest to us. We then recommended it to someone who we felt would be interested in it!
This term our topic is called, ‘Trailblazers!’
Even though we are learning from home we have been very busy with our learning. In literacy we have been studying poetry, focussing on Haiku poetry and also poetry that incorporates some alliteration! We have been planning for and writing this poetry around the theme of nature, mini beasts and the outdoors. We hope you enjoy reading some of them !
Information for home learning
Hello Year 5! It is great to be teaching you all! I hope you had a lovely Easter break.
I had been so looking forward to meeting you all in our classroom, but for now, online will have to do! I have been talking to Mrs Jones about what you have covered and I will be planning some interesting learning for the weeks ahead.
Just a reminder of what you could try to complete when you're learning from home:
- Please continue to write out and learn your spellings each day as you would have done for homework.
- Spelling activity book- complete 1 page each day until you have completed all the activities for the week.
- Learn your tables- I will upload your weekly tables to google classroom. Remember there are lots of online games you can use to help you develop quicker recall such as topmarks.com.
- At the end of the week a parent can call out your spellings and tables and you can record these in your blue Friday test books.
- Read a book. Some of you may have some Accelerated Reading books at home. You can check if a book is on AR by using the link at the bottom of the AR page on the school website. If you do not have any books at home you can use ebooks for reading. You can find ebooks by joining the Library online for free (see the Accelerated Reading Page) or by visiting one of the websites on the reading resources page.
- 1 Literacy and 1 Numeracy activity- please view google classroom to access these. You will find instructions for accessing google classroom on the website.
Please make sure, if you are using online resources, there is an adult supervising you whilst using the internet at all times. Thank you.
I hope you are all safe, healthy and happy at home. Please message me if you need any help. Google Classroom is new to me too so let’s enjoy learning together! :)
Have a wonderful week! Mrs Sowden
P5 looked fantastic for World Book Day. A lot of effort went into their costumes. Well done P5!